Re: cygwin.dll license (was Re: FreeQt ?)

On Jun 2, Jim Pick wrote
> The cygwin.dll case in an example where the GPL is being used to restrict the
> rights of other people using the code so that they can't do something taboo
> such as charge money, while at the same time, reserving the right for the
> authors to do the exact same thing.  To me, this is clearly hypocritical,
> and I don't consider that software to be as 'free' as it could otherwise
> be.

First off, this list isn't the right forum to discuss Cygnus morality
issues.  Can someone point out a better forum?

Second, I find it hard to conceive of some case wher Cygnus would
sue someone for selling commercial software which happened to use
a DLL authored by Cygnus.  It would trash their (Cygnus's) reputation,
and eat into their bottom line.

Third, I think you're (Jim, I mean) making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Can't we talk about something more interesting?  Like, a mechanism for
informing maintainers of packages what issues they need to address to
get packages out of Incoming and into the distribution?

--
Raul