Re: default file perms

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Tim Sailer wrote:

> I have a client that just got carried away (as root of course) with a
> chmod -R in the wrong dir. I really miss the chkperms stuff deom $CO
> at times like this... so, I'm going to write one in perl. Since each
> package has a .list file already, would it be a big deal to have
> each developer to add a default file perm, and owner/group to each
> line, and have dpkg not have a problem with this?

I rather think this is dpkg's job. _(; We could (easily?) convert the
.list files to a format looking like this (for each file):

md5sum                           size  owner group mode type filename

b4f978d71d6dd8d4558632b5a185f28d 37760 root  root  755  r    /bin/ls

(with type being 'r' for regular files, 'b', 'c', 'p', 'l' for
(respectively) block and character devices, pipes, links).

This is just an example, but I think this is all the info we need, and it
could easily be done by dpkg-deb while making the package.

Klee? Ian?

	Cordialement,

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -