Re: Questions (Debian Install) (fwd)

> Hm; I thought there was some way I could ask Linux where on my hard
> drive the minicom program was; something like
>   ls -R minic* but that doesn't work .... What is the *nix way to
> "Find file with name:___" ? I know how to do this with the Mac OS and
> several different Microsoft OSes, it's kinda annoying me that I can't
> do this with Linux.

For things in your path there is:

  type minicom               (you need the full name for this)

Also for things in your path, if you are running bash you can use name completion so if you know you are looking for a program that starts with ``mini'' type that at the beginning of a line followed by a TAB or two and see what happens.

For files or directories in general there are a couple of alternatives:

  locate minic

This only works if you have run ``updaterc'' recently, but that should be done automatically on a daily basis if you are running recent Debian.

The more complicated option is with find:

  find / -name 'minic*'

Read ``man find'' for the plethora of other options

Cheers, Phil.