Re: Conflict between Packages file and actual files

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> On Thu, 22 May 1997, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> > > This is a mirror sync problem. The packages file on master is correct.
> > > Give the mirror you are using some time to catch up and try again, or, you
> > > can crate your own, correct, Packages file using dpkg-scanpackages.
> >
> > I thought that might be the case, so I checked ftp.debian.org and got the
> > same answer.  I ended up ftp'ing the two files and installing with dpkg
> > rather than worry about dselect not accepting the packages file.
> >
> This is a continuous problem. I don't know why ftp.debian.org takes so
> long to get in sync with master, but the problem simply propogates from
> there to all the additional mirrors. Debian is the only distribution I
> know that depends so heavily on the accuracy of one file.

This sounds like a locking problem to me.

If the archive on master changes while the mirror to ftp.debian.org is
running, then the packages file will obviously differ from the
contents of the archive. This can continue down the chain of
mirrors.

Assuming no locking takes place, then differences become increasingly
likely as the time taken to update the mirror increases. Another
source of this is if the packages file on master is not updated
immediately after a package is added. These problems will presumably
settle if the archive is unchanged for a couple of days.

I strongly agree however that dselect ought to cope a lot better than it does
at present. I've had it fall over when it calls dpkg -iGROEB and a
package I'm not interested in has a broken symlink on the
archive. I've made a suggestion to the deity team that this should be
one thing to tackle.

Chris