Re: IMP: downgrade ldso to bo: no ldso left!

On May 13, joost witteveen wrote
> > On May 11, joost witteveen wrote
> > > I just downgraded my ldso from the one in unstable, to the one
> > > in bo, and I appear to be left with a system that doesn't have
> > > a dynamic linker!
> >
> > This is because of a change from a hard link to a symlink in one of
> > the 1.9.x versions.  I'm not sure that I can do anything about it
> > except to not allow ldso to be downgraded.
>
> Well, as the problem is rather serious (very, very, very!),
> I think the least you can do is warn the user who wants to
> downgrade to the bo version, and offer him to quit the install
> if no statically linked version of "cp" or "ln" is available.
>
> Or, maybe provide a statically linked version of ln in the
> preinst (uuencoded) of the bo version of ldso, that the preisnt
> stores in /tmp/ln-static. Then you could use that /tmp/ln-static to:

This problem is not that simple.  With the current dpkg, there is no
way to fix this even with a statically linked cp or ln.  This is
because dpkg will remove ld-linux.so.1 before any postinst script gets
a chance to repair the damage.

What is needed is a generic way to tell dpkg that a file should no
longer be considered part of a package so dpkg won't remove it.
However, since this particular problem is only fatal to ldso it's
probably not worth adding.

Without changing dpkg, I don't see any way to fix this except to not
allow downgrades.

> BTW, it isn't unlikely people will want to downgrade to the bo
> version of ldso, as it's the only version that still allows us
> to build .deb packages: dpkg-shlib doesn't work with the new
> ld.so. Yes, I know there's an experimental dpkg out that does
> work with the new ld.so, but we've just been warned about the
> dangers of that experimental version.

Then Klee, or whomever, should update the current stable version for
unstable.  The change is trivial and is needed for people to build
libc6 packages.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road