Re: ae's vi attempt on boot disks stomps on real vi symlink

Hi,
	I have kept off this thread since I *hate* getting on yet
 another editor jihad, which this has all the symptoms of
 becoming. But the following exchange got my goat ...

Karl> I think that an experienced unix person will fully understand the
Karl> newbie's predicament, and that it's a given to them that `Emacs`
Karl> and `vi` will be available. They will quickly see that when
Karl> `dselect` is run during the install process.

Craig> we have already had several reports of people who have looked
Craig> at installing debian (or been shown it by debian users) but
Craig> decided against using it because vi wasn't on the base
Craig> disks. they didn't bother even getting to the stage of running
Craig> dselect.

	I think that reaction is unreasonable. If these people are so
 incompetent that they base techncal decisions on so little evidence,
 I do not think it is reasonable to expect us to bend over backwards
 to cater to their whims.

	It is not as if Debian does not contain vi -- we are talking
 about a ``crippled'' system, in a sense, because on a first initial
 install that's what a system is -- it is not a complete system
 *yet*.

	And yes, I consider my self an experienced unix person, and I
 have been stuch using cat, grep, and ed on professional machines when
 things screwed up royally -- or during initial install, when I wanted
 to configure the system *my* way (Ultrix, HP-UNIX, Dec OSF-1. and
 Digital Unix).

	I think Really experienced Unix people are used to not
 having vi available during emergency/installation periods. How many
 commercial unices have vi on / anyway?

	manoj. slightly incensed.

--
 That is the key to history.  Terrific energy is expended --
 civilizations are built up -- excellent institutions devised; but