Re: Remaining critical bugs (IMHO)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> > This is (should be) a configuration issue.  People who aren't involved
> > in Sun style networking but are involved in astronomy (for example)
>
> Well, I'd like to hear Susan chime in on this since she's our resident
> astronomer, but if this were true, astronomers wouldn't be using *any*
> unix systems.

Well, for the astronomy applications which I work on (for the SETI
Institute), it is necessary to know the correct time.  Of course, this
can be determined as long as you can look up a leap second table.  For
our current applications, it is even more important that 2 computers,
and their associated telescopes at different sites be synchronized.
This is impossible with the current 20 second bug.  We don't currently
use Debian for a production system, but we may some day.

The reason that we need correctly synchronized time is that we are
looking at differential Doppler shifts for a given star to determine
whether a signal is really coming from the observed star or is coming
from another source, and is probably of human origin.

Frankly, I agree that this bug is a critical bug, and therefore should
delay release of the system if it is not fixed.  Late discovery of a
bug does not make a critical bug non-critical.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevin@aimnet.com