star documentation?

I was trying to build a 1.1.13 test bench and do it quickly, so rather
than making the base disks I just put the base1_1.tgz file on a partition
I could get to and copied it over the the target partition. When I went to
untar it I discovered that the only tool for that job was star, about
which I know absolutely nothing. Will star do the job, and where do I find
docs on this program?

Thanks,

Dwarf

P.S. Thanks to "Drop in Debian"(tm) I was able to untar the file and
return to the installation. BTW, if you don't do "Configure the Base
System", the boot up is very strange. Without fstab to remount root
the file system is read-only yielding many interesting errors.