mkisofs name mapping

Hi,

I've just been playing with debian-cd_0.1.2 and it occured to me that the way
that mkisofs munges the names into 8.3 format could be improved.  I could add
an extra stage to the mapping code that consults a file (indices/msdos-names)
for a hint about the short name to use.

If I understand correctly, this would result in a CD that would have workable
names under both DOS and Linux.  Is this correct ?  and if so, is it worth
doing ?

Cheers, Phil.