List of xearth locations (interim)

Dear Colleagues,

I have made a list of the locations of some (fairly randomly chosen)
Debian developers).  The motivation for this effort was to make it
easier for us to sign one another's PGP keys, by knowing where we
were relative to other developers.  Brian White came up with the
idea of putting the data into a file that could be displayed with
the xearth program.

At first, I expected I'd be able to get a mailing list of developers,
then send each name on the list off to a host/domain lookup service
on the net, and then automatically build the list from the returns.
This didn't work too well, because:
-- the lookup service simply returns the longitude and latitude of
   the capital of a country if the IP address for the host being looked
   up is outside the US.  This produces very large errors in, e.g.,
   Australia.
-- some people's email addresses are poorly related to their geographic
   locations.

So I found myself doing a lot of "hand work" to get everyone's real
longitude and latitude.   I did this for about 50 developers, chosen from
a set of emails on debian-devel.  After I had a good estimate of a lon
and lat for a developer, I sent him or her a letter asking explicitly
for his or her permission to use that data in a file to be presented
in a Debian context (e.g., on our WWW site).  This was a fun experience,
but time consuming.  In the meantime, Jim Pick has remarked that it is
much more efficient to carry out this task using a WWW fill-in form.

The bottom line is that the list I have right now (below) is interesting for
illustrative purposes, but is obviously not complete.  Rather than edit
the list further, I will stop here, because this list will soon be
superceded by the data that Jim will collect.  I hope everyone enjoys
this as much as I enjoyed making it.  And I thank Philip Hands for
editing the list to improve its readility on an orthographic projection.

If you are not on the list, _please_ do not interpret that in any
way, and please stay tuned to input your data into Jim's form as soon
as it's ready.  (Basically, most of the names on the list were the result
of my having executed a command something like
   scan last:400 +debian/devel | cut -c12-30 | sort -u
This is approximate; I can't remember exactly what I used though.)

Sue Campbell will use this interim data set to put up an interim
xearth image at the WWW site, but you can also use it on your own if
you are running Xwindows, by saving the data to a file, e.g.,
xearth.debian, and then executing:
   xearth -markerfile xearth.debian
or use
   xearth -proj mercartor -markerfile xearth.debian
to see the whole earth at once (though the labelling won't be as
optimal).

Thanks to those on the list for their patience with my typos, and
(in advance) to those not on the list for their patience in waiting
for Jim's form.

Cheers,
Susan

P.S.  I have removed any email addresses which were not available
for inclusion on a Debian WWW site.  And I changed the permission notice
to say that it could/should be available at a Debian WWW site, but not
in a package.

### Locations of Debian developers
### Developed by Susan Kleinmann, April 25, 1997
###
### Revised by Phil Hands, April 25, 1997 ("align" tweaks to aid readability)
###
### This file is meant to be available at the Debian WWW site, but not
### in a Debian package.
###
 52.1728    4.4777  "Wichert Akkerman" align=left #Leiden, NLD wakkerma@wi.leidenuniv.nl wakkerma@debian.org
-32.03,   115.45    "Lindsay Allen"     #Perth, AUS allen@cleo.murdoch.edu.au
 30.282,  -97.733   "Rob Browning" align=below	#Austin, TX, USA osiris@cs.utexas.edu
 43.47,   -80.38    "Sue Campbell" align=left	#Waterloo, ON, CAN sacampbe@debian.org
 52.1728,   4.4777  "--------------Ray Dassen"        #Leiden, NLD jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl
 37.80,  -122.27    "Kevin Dalley" align=above	#Oakland, CA, USA kevin@aimnet.com
 25.43,   -80.160   "Michael Alan Dorman"   #Coral Gables, FL, USA mdorman@debian.org
 43.650,  -79.333   "Dirk Eddelbuettel" #Toronto, Kingston, CAN edd@ican.net edd@rosebud.sps.queensu.ca edd@debian.org
 42.4     -71.1     "Mark Eichin"       #Somerville, MA, USA eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us
 32.997,  -96.667   "David Engel" align=left	#Richardson, TX, USA david@sw.ods.com david@debian.org
 49.40      8.72    "Helmut Geyer" align=left    #Heidelberg, DEU
 39.56,  -75.01     "Igor Grobman"      #Cherry Hill, NJ, USA igor@pics.com igor@digicron.com igor@debian.org
 53.550, -113.467   "Jason Gunthorpe"	#Edmonton, Alberta, CAN jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
 51.480,   -0.950   "Philip Hands"  align=left     #London, GBR phil@hands.com
 52.13,     0.08    "Stephen Early----------" align=left     #Cambridge, GBR steve@greenend.org.uk sde1000@debian.org