Re: Can we upload binaries using libc6 to hamm yet?

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> How about making /usr/bin/gcc be a shell script that takes an option
> (something like --libc5 or --libc6) to force selection, with the
> default being the libc version that is installed in /lib.  That way
> normal users don't have to worry about it, and people that want to
> just use the option.  This would also allow us to have the
> /usr/bin/gcc script check what was installed and generate messages
> along the lines of:

>   ERROR: Debian package libc5-dev is needed to compile libc5 binaries on
>          libc6 based systems.  Please install it and try again.

I agree with that but for one thing. Checking whether a package is
installed is a costly thing (at least currently). Doing so with each
invocation of gcc would increase compilation time by an intolerable
amount. Nevertheless the default action should be settable at
installation time.

        Helmut

--
Helmut Geyer                                Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de