Re: need some help with handling conffiles (pppd/ipppd)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> pppd uss some conffile in /etc/ppp : options pap-secrets chap-secrets
> i'm working on a new release of isdnutils, that includes ipppd (isdn
> pppd, synchrone pppd). it should use the same conffiles, because it
> makes sence to use them for both daemons. but also many people don't
> need pppd if they are using isdn.
> has anyone an idea, how to handle this ? i don't want to depend on pppd,
> and i don't want to overwrite some conffiles, but i also don't want to
> go without good default conffiles ...

 I think that both packages should `Replace:' each other so they can
`overwrite' the conffile. But.. as the file is marked as a conffile in
the package being installed, dpkg will ask.
 The problem is that if the user purges one of the package.. the conffile
will be lost.. unless...

Silly idea:
 One of the packages provide the conffile under a different name, the
other provides it with the real name... In the postinst.. each package
creates a hard link to the other name...

--
Nicolás Lichtmaier.-
nick@feedback.com.ar