Re: "dselect" replacement team

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
> Well, that's debateble, I've been using it for about 4 years now and I
> find it very usefull, much preferable to straight C.

What's the biggest project you've created with straight C?  C++?

> If you use exceptions namespaces and rtti then your code is hard to port
> C++, if you stick to the basics, templates and classes it's not a problem
> in my experiance. This of course depends on the application.

Not that gcc actually completely implements templates.

> > Only 1 and 2 apply here, of course.  And it is possible for
> I'd say only 1, if dpkg/dselect is ever ported it will more than likely be
> to a platform with gcc and gcc will be used to compile it, that is enough
> to pretty much kill #2.

Bong!  Wrong answer.  The Alpha port---the first port of Linux which
has been around for about 2 years---didn't have a working C++ compiler
until around 6 months ago.

This is a mistaken assumption, and since you're talking about the most
low-level tool in the debian arsenal, this is a big issue.  C++ would
be a mistake.

Mike.