Re: "dselect" replacement team

> > Berkeley libdb, for example), to make things easier. As someone said
> > earlier, reimplementing the "dpkg" utility itself to be an extra frontend,
> > rather than a backend to the interface, would fit especially well into
> > this case.
>
> I object.  I don't think you can easily correct the status file after
> a failure with "vi /var/lib/dpkg/status" if it is not a plain ascii
> file.  This is a feature which I have needed several times - and normally
> I am careful with my systems...

There are always solutions to this.  You could store it in the binary
format but have a "by-hand-fix" mode that converts everything to text,
starts an editor on it, and then converts the text back to binary.  As
long as this is an "official" ability, then there is no problems and is
actually safer than someone making changes without the tool's knowledge.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

 Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less travelled by,
 And that has made all the difference.  ("The Road Not Taken" -- Robert Frost)