Re: "dselect" replacement team

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > > I'd like to do text, X, and web interfaces.  They'll all look about the
> > > same, hopefully.
> >
> > I would like to see it move to eventually replace dpkg itself so we can
> > actually begin to move forward with Debians Packaging system. I doubt
> > anything like that would happen for a while though :>
>
> I disagree. We need to keep a command line (no "dialog", no "curses")
> version. (although it's fine if the new dselect can handdle this as well)

Opps, I wasn't clear, I mean to rebuild dpkg using exactly the same UI
(dpkg -i etc) using the class library developed for the new dselect. The
reason is that dpkg has problems with dependancies as well, if it could
use some of the feature the classlib will require then it will be that
much better. After that is done we have 1 single peice of source that does
all package installation, managment and selection for everything. We can
learn from any mistakes that the orginal dpkg had in it's design and
advoid them. Just in my little look around what we have now there are
several peices of source code that parse the various status files.

So the classlib will have the following possible frontends,
  dpkg -- commandline
  dselect -- slang/curses
  xdselect -- X11
  cgidselect -- WEB

(Thats all I've heard so far)

Naturally the idea would be to extensively document and prepare the
classlib so that other people may use it for whatever package manipulator
they want to create.

I think this should be the goal for the design of the classlib, weather it
is used to that extent we will see in time.

Jason