Re: New Package: martian 0.10-1

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Boris D. Beletsky wrote:

>  Gith> In all the discussion about DPKG and RPM, has anyone gotten
>  Gith> the idea to create a new package manager from scratch that
>  Gith> incorporates the best features of both RPM and DPKG?
>
> I not sure it is needed. Bouth, Dpkg and RPM are working systems
> that have no major problems that would require rewriting them from
> scratch. The only problem IMHO is how to make them compatible,
> things like recommends and suggests may be just optional, and RedHat
> may decide not to use them in there distribution.

Yes they are both working systems with no major problems...
but why settle for one or the other when there is the possibility
of creating something better. A new package manager may or may not
be better than RPM/DPKG but it doesn't hurt to give it a shot.
                                Willie Daniel
                             gith@quicklink.net
                      http://users.quicklink.net/~gith/
               Linux-GGI Project: http://synergy.foo.net/~ggi/