Re: Changes to menu packgae

On Mar 29, joost witteveen wrote

[snip]
>   When we leave the last loop, we are sure that
>     -there is no dpkg running any more (at least the last status file is
>      saved),
>     -we are the onlu update-menus running.
>   and thus we can do the "old" update-menus stuff, like
>
>     if (state == "*install*") then generate menu-entry

Errm. Shouldn't you be looking for "installed" instead of "install"
Packages which are "remove ok installed" should still get menu entries,
which those which are "install ok conffiles" shouldn't.

> > Also, it would be nice to do the following by default:
> >
> >  s/Apps/Applications/
> >
> > Other root menu entries are longer than 'Applications', so there's no point
> > in abbreviating it to 'Apps'.
> >
> >  s/WindowManagers/Window Managers/
> >  s/XShells
>
> The one disadvantage is that as far as I'm aware this would break fvwm2,
> and probably most other window managers. But I guess the /etc/menu-method/*
> scripts could be re-written to allow this.

But does it? Let's take dosemu as an example. It installs its X11 menu
entry as:

x11 Apps/Emulators dosemu /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/dosemu.xpm "The Linux Dos Emulator" /usr/bin/xdos

and it gets displayed as "The Linux Dos Emulator" (without the quotes of
course, but with the whitespace) by both afterstep and fvwn2. Wouldn't it
be ok if you just did something like s/XShells/"X Shells"/, say?

  Christian