RFC: new policy on dependencies between distributions (was Re: need decision on packages with crypto hooks)

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On 29 Mar 1997, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es (Enrique Zanardi)  wrote on 29.03.97 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95.970329010636.1006C-100000@remoto>:

> > > * packages that depend or recommend "crypto" packages go to the contrib
> > > distribution/section ??

good point.

What about this policy:

- --------------

The Intention: The following collections of distributions should be
self-consistent so that _no_ packages out of any other distribution are
required:
	- free (main) distribution
	- free+non-us
	- free+non-free
	- free+non-us+non-free (that's a result from the above)
	- free+non-free+contrib (that's a result form the above)
(Note that free+contrib is _not_ self-consistent.)

A package is called "required", when there is a package "Depending" or
"Recommending" this package. (Note that a package is not "required" when
it is "Suggested".)

Special case for virtual packages: A virtual package is considered to live
in the "most free" distribution that contains a package providing it,
where "most free" is the following order: free, non-free/non-us, contrib.

The rules:

o Every package in the free (main) distribution may only Depend or
Recommend packages in the free distribution.

o Every package in the non-free distribution may only Depend or Recommend
packages in the main or non-free distribution.

o Every package in the non-us distribution may only Depend or Recommend
packages in the main or non-us distribution.

o Any other package has to go into the contrib distribution.

o Every package may Suggest or Conflict with any other package, no matter
in which distribution they are.

Examples (can be used as references):

o A free package depending on a non-free package has to go to contrib.

o A free or non-free package depending on a non-us package has to go to
contrib. For example the crpyto-hook package "pinepgp" is free (GPL) but
certainly depends on PGP, so it has to go into contrib.

o The package "rsync" in the free distribution only suggests PGP in the
non-us distribution so there is no need of moving rsync.

- --------------

AFAIK this affects the following packages that depend/recommend a program
out of the non-us distribution (they all have to go into contrib!):

package		distribution	depends/recommends comments
=============== =============== ================== ==============
inn		free		pgp		   is PGP really needed?
mailpgp		free		pgp
auto-pgp	non-free	pgp
mailcrypt	non-free	pgp
premail		non-free	pgp
pinepgp		contrib		pgp		   contrib is ok!

- --------------

Note (with the possible exception of INN) it would not be good to change
the dependency to "suggests" to prevent the move to contrib if the package
really needs PGP.

Any comments?

I would like to add something like this to the Policy Manual.

Thanks,

Chris

- --                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com