Re: How to improve Debian security, and avoid trojans...

On Mar 29, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote
>  Developers would upload only source packages. The load needed to build
> every uploaded package may be important. So the work can be handled by
> several *VERY* trusted machines on the net (3 or 4). The machine would
> periodically check an ftp dir on master / download the source packages
> / build them / and upload the .deb. This could be done with low priority..
> something like the RC5 contest.. =)

That's very interesting.  Might work for Intel, but where are you going to
find trusted m68k machines with a decent-speed network connection (for this
sort of project, I don't think modem speeds will cut it)?

Plus that gives us around 10 (assume 3-4 for Intel, 2 or so for the other
arches) very big points of vulnerability.  And it doesn't do anything about
source packages that are sabotaged from the start.

The only good thing I can see is that the packages would all be built on a
consistent system.  Oh, and it would force package developers to put
blindly-buildable sources up (which I view as a good thing, although most
developers probably don't need the additional hassle).

Chris
|     Chris Lawrence      |               The Linux/m68k FAQ               |
| <quango@ix.netcom.com>  |  http://www.clark.net/pub/lawrencc/linux/faq/  |
|   Amiga A4000/040 and   |           The Internet Link Exchange           |
|    Linux/m68k 2.1.29    |          http://www.linkexchange.com/          |