Re: What should I do about these bugs?

David Engel <david@sw.ods.com> writes:

> The first class of bugs has to do with the default, non-POSIX way
> getopt reorders command line arguments.  My gut feel is that getopt
> should have been posix conformant by default.

People who want to often braindamage POSIX behaviour by default shall
put POSIXLY_CORRECT in their environment.

This can be a general suggestion.

BTW, when using a modern getopt implementation, e.g. the one in glibc,
you also get a different behaviour in the following situation:

There is a directory containing the file `-a' and `-b'.  Running

	ls -?

will show the files and not as on other systems run ls with the
"options" -a and -b.  Just as a warning that you might get reports.

Generally we followed POSIX as close as possible but when it is simply
stupid the default behaviour was changed but still leaving a path to
purely POSIX.

-- Uli
---------------.      drepper@cygnus.com  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper  \    ,-------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany