Re: mailing-list machine crashes

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Mike Neuffer <mike@i-Connect.Net>
> ! > Tight skin syndrome?
> !
> ! Yes. "You raise an eyebrow and our toes wiggle"
>
> Tee hee.
>
> ! To keep it alive, Leonard , Eric, I and an number of others
> ! have had to patch it over and over again and nobody really
> ! understands _all_ sideeffects anymore. It was basically
> ! patched to death.
>
> Sounds like the old networking code. So is there an Alan Cox for SCSI?

Not really. There are multiple problems. New code would make
all of the current drivers incompatible or at least slower
due to an additional conversion layer. Then there is a whole bunch
of people that try to protect their turf.....

Simon and I have been discussing this for over a year on and off the
linux-scsi mailinglist and even made a proposal of how it could be
implemented in a very clean, stable and fast manner. Too many people were
trying to protect their turf......

Once I have enought time I'll continue to work on this again.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005