Re: mailing-list machine crashes

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Mike Neuffer <mike@i-Connect.Net>
> > Yes, the Linux SCSI code is far from beeing stable. It has been suffering
> > from a tight skin syndrome for a long time.
>
> Tight skin syndrome?

Yes. "You raise an eyebrow and our toes wiggle"

The code in the midlevel SCSI layer  was designed when a
1542 was the absolute top end model for the developers at that
time.
Even Drew (who wrote most of the code) says today that all of the
SCSI code is far too complicated and needs to be ripped out and
replaced.

To keep it alive, Leonard , Eric, I and an number of others
have had to patch it over and over again and nobody really
understands _all_ sideeffects anymore. It was basically
patched to death.

Every single change in the lowlevel kernel interrupt hander and
time code can cause these problems.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005