Re: dot-locking

    >> What's 'lockd'?  I've never heard of it. Can you mail me a man
    >> page to look at?

    Mark> It may be called rpc.lockd.  I can't mail you a man page
    Mark> because I've not seen one for a free OS, though I'm told
    Mark> there's a version for linux that's been in beta for a year
    Mark> or two.  If you have access to any non-free unix with nfs,
    Mark> you can probably look there.

 I wonder where to find that Linux rpc.lockd?  We'll have to look
around for it.

 I will try and find one; I've a friend with an account on a machine
like that; we'll steal one for a minute. ;-)

    Mark> In any case, you're not supposed to know about it -- the
    Mark> kernel calls it, it calls the remote system's lockd, the
    Mark> remote lockd calls the remote kernel.  No user contact.
    Mark> It's just how nfs file locking is implemented.

 So lockd is what sets or returns to the libc a value for the l_sysid
field in struct flock, as shown by "Unix System Programming for
SysVr4" from O'Reilly?

 With lockd running, then, is it possible to lock a nfs mounted file
using 'fcntl', 'lockf', or 'flock', without the 'lockfile' kluge?

Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg
Portland, OR  USA
Debian GNU 1.2  Linux 2.0.29t