Re: base-files does not create /usr/local directories

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> In the 1.1 base package there was code to create /usr/local/bin and
> friends. A number of people (not just one) complained that Debian
> should not touch /usr/local at all because they had set the owner, group,
> and permnission on that directory and they did not want Debian changing
> them.

I thought the last time this whole issue was raised, we decided that
packages that want to mess with /usr/local/ should be limited to only
creating directories there, and only if the directory doesn't already
exist.  It also shouldn't be an error if the creation attempt fails
(i.e. read-only /usr/local).

This seemed a reasonable compromise.

--
Rob