New Policy Manual 2.1.3.0 released and some questions

Hi folks!

I've released the Debian Policy Manual 2.1.3.0. Here is a short list of
the changes:

  * New Policy Manager: Christian Schwarz <schwarz@debian.org>
  * Added section 2.4 about the "non-us" distribution.
  * Added section 3.1.1 about the "Package" field in the control file.
  * Added section 3.2.1 about "Binaries": two programs with different
    functionality must not have the same name.
  * Changed headline of section 3.2.6 into "Debian changelog and upstream
    changelog" as suggested by Santiago Vila Doncel <sanvila@unex.es>.
  * Added log-rotating example to section 3.2.9 that tests with `-sf',
    as suggested by Boris D. Beletsky <borik@isracom.co.il>.
  * Added section 3.13: "Webstandard 3.0" by Christoph Lameter.
  * Added section 3.14: "Standard for Console Messages" by Christian
    Schwarz.
  * Split section 4.1 into 4.1.1 (Options for binaries) and 4.1.2 (Options
    for libraries)
  * Added note to 4.1.2: Libraries should be compiled with `-D_REENTRANT'
    to make them compatible with LinuxThreads, by Rob Browning
    <osiris@cs.utexas.edu>.
  * Added note to 4.1.2: Libraries should be stripped with
    "strip --strip-unneeded", by Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu>.
  * Section 5.2: Policy changelog is now
    "/usr/doc/debian-policy/changelog-policy.gz". This fixes bug #6130.
  * Section 6.2 renamed to "Uploading your first Debian package". This
    fixes bug #6130.

All the changes have already been discussed on the mailing lists in
detail.

If you have any suggestions or if you find some errors please send me a
short note.

1. I've created a new Debian package "debian-policy", that will always
contain the latest Policy Manual, the Linux Filesystem Standard and
related documents.

2. I haven't included the file "prospective-packages" since I don't
think this one really belongs into a .deb since it is hard to keep this
up-to-date. I'd suggest making it available via our web server. (If you
disagree then I'll include it in the debian-policy package.)

3. I'll include the "list of virtual package names" when I received the
latest version. (I'll send Warwick a note.)

4. Currently we have PS versions of our manuals on the ftp server. What do
you think? Should we remove it? IMHO this doesn't really belong there. I
would prefer having it accessable over our web server. (If we should keep
it on the ftp server: can someone tell me how to upload it?)

5. The new version 2.1.3.0 is just a "quick hack". I included the two
standards for web servers and console messages as new sections but didn't
change the text. I plan to do a major change in the structure after 1.3 is
released since it's hard to find the information now. (I'll come up with a
draft of the new TOC for discussion here.)

6. It's now possible to report bugs against our policy, namely against the
package "debian-policy". There are some bugs in the bug reporting system
against the policy but assigned to different packages. I'll reassign them
to debian-policy. In case I find a bug that I missed, it would be nice
if you could reassign it.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

- --                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@debian.org,
Debian is looking     schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de, bm955877@muenchen.org
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/