Re: ThinkPad 365X

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Lukas Eppler wrote:

Hi!

Mrs. Suse, Mr. Redhat, Mr. Debian, I have some problems here.

I have a 365X Thinkpad and successfully installed the Slackware 3.0
ELF release with X11 and kernel 1.2.13. I manually upgraded to 2.0.29
without major problems. BUT: I could not install redhat because of
repeated "bus error"s while writing to the harddisk (only shown
when using the rescue shell to install manually, the graphical
installation script just slows down and stops.) Suse (german dist.)
wouldn't even boot, it hangs after loading linux with the floppy led
still on. The Debian installation has the same problem, with the
difference that it turns off the floppy led after loading. But
"uncompressing linux" never appears.

Running kernel 2.0.29 with X11R6 without problems for more than a
month I think that there is nothing wrong with my computer, but
with the installation disks, but I can't imagine what. Besides, I
would like to use a nicer package manager than good old tar. :-)

To do something more positive, I have published my X-configuration
file on

http://www.fear.ch/fearPages/people/godot/XF86Config .

Probably you should change the keyboard layout there back to
US, I use a swiss german setup. (Just by running XF86Setup using
this file for defaults.)

--
Lukas Eppler (godot)
                                                   http://www.fear.ch