Re: Preferred editor and pager

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

> .... I thought, we had have the simple solution:
> Default editor is `ae', as it's included in the boot disks set,
> as well es default pager is `more'.
> (I don't prefer any of the above.)
> If the user can successfully drive emacs, vi, or whatever, she
> should be able to get the knowledge about changing the above
> defaults ...

 I think this is wrong. Many people can use joe, and they haven't used
Linux/Unix at all. =)
 My opinion:
   As a rule, the defaults should always be intended for the novice user.
So `vi' is a bad default. And `less' is better than `more'. The
experienced user who wants to use emacs can change it.
 I don't like linking everuthing to /bin/editor, since some editors accept
different arguments, and programs should be decide those looking which
editor is default (`bug' does =) ).
 I think that programs should be modified to look into EDITOR environment
variable.

Nicolás Lichtmaier.-  | From Buenos Aires,
nick@feedback.com.ar  |      Argentina!