Re: X11: app-defaults and XF86Config

    LD> "FL" == Frederic Lepied <Frederic.Lepied@sugix.frmug.org> writes:
    FL> I think we should move app-defaults which is under
    FL> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 to /etc/X11 because resources files are
    FL> configuration files and must be protected from upgrades. This
    FL> way /usr/X11R6 can be mounted read-only.  One temporary fix
    FL> could be to add a symlink from to
    FL> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults to /etc/X11/app-defaults.

    LD> No, the current way to do things is correct.  Changes should not be
    LD> bade in the app-defaults files, because they will get overwritten when
    LD> the packages is upgraded.  The app-defaults files can't become
    LD> conffiles, because applications can misbehave, become useless or crash
    LD> if it is using an old app-defaults file which doesn't contain the
    LD> resources it needs.

    LD> Any site X customizations should be put into /etc/X11/Xresources. This
    LD> has been discussed about every month or 2.

I don't  understand how you  use  /etc/X11/Xresources in  your scheme.
For me resources files are configuration  files and if someone want to
modify one, he doesn't want it to be erased in an upgrade.

    FL> Another thing about XF86Config, I think the sources of XFree86
    FL> should be patched to look at this file under /etc/X11 because if
    FL> you use xf86Setup, you loose your config as xf86Setup removes or
    FL> backups /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config and the symlink is
    FL> anylonger present.

    LD> xf86Setup is the offending program here, and yes, it should be patched
    LD> to look in /etc/X11 for the XF86Config file.  This should be reported
    LD> as a bug if it isn't already.

I don't think  so   because the same  sources   are used to  find  the
XF86Config file in the XServer and in XF86Setup.

--
Fred