Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Brian C. White wrote:
>
> > Thoughts
> > ~~~~~~~~
> > - Any objections to "woody" as nickname for the next release?
>
> sounds fine to me.
>
> btw, doesn't "woody" have some humorous meaning in US slang??

This reminds me of a cultural joke Harris Computing played on themselves.
They were completely unprepaired for the hoots of laughter when they
unveiled their then new Slash-6 midi computer at a London trade show. They
had not realized that the term "slash" is British slang for a "lady of the
evening". I suspect that the name Harris still brings smiles to the faces
of the Brits who attended that trade show.

Just for grins (or maybe for the lack of them) let's try to find another
name. I know the marketing types like names like this (even when the
inuendo is pointed out) and I suspect that Brian would like to bring our
attention to the amount of testosterone used in the current development
effort and I applaud both goals. I am just uncertain as to whether this
name will evoke the memory of a quality release or just a string of crotch
jokes.
Actually, the first time I say the word used as a release name the image
came to mind of that realy radical wood paneled station wagon on one of
the Beach Boys albums. So for a third image you get a large spacious
vehicle for taking you and your board anywhere you want to surf. I like
this image, but I'm still not sure it's what the word will evoke in most
folks minds.

Take care,

Dwarf