Re: Possible framework for `debmake replacement'

On 24 Feb 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	I want to get what people think are requirements for a debmake
>  like tool. This is not just talk or vaporware: I think we can push
>  this and create the ehancement to debmake, and will even volunteer to
>  lead coding (I'll of course defer to Christoph if he wants to do
>  this, but I fear that he may heve time constraints).

I certainly support this. Debmake was never intended as a goal in itself
but first of all a pioneering thing to demonstrate ways to make packaging
easier for developers. A project such as Debian has to have an easy way of
packaging software. People do not have much spare development time and it
is vital for the project if people can easily bring the software into the
distribution that they have expertise in anyways without extensive study
of debian specific tools.

Thought about a spec files before (see the experimental UPM
package). It might be worth it if those files stay small.

I am very encouraged by this development! But a debmake like tool cannot
stand alone. The problems in dpkg have to be addressed as well.

Please always CC me when replying to posts on mailing lists.