Development workflow.

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Malc Arnold wrote:

> So how does a package life cycle like this sound?
>
>     1. Source and binary of new package uploaded.
>     2. Testers test package and file bug reports.
>     3. Maintainer fixes the testers' bugs.
>     4. Goto 2 until testers ok package (or maintainer gives up ;-).
>     5. Package released into normal unstable -> stable cycle.
>     6. Maintainer fixes bugs and releases updated packages
>     7. Goto 1 when the upstream version or maintainer changes.
>
> The main problem I can see is that this might slow down the release
> of essential upstream fixes (like the recent inn security bug).  If
> we feel this is the problem, then we could skip the requirement to
> retest a package after the upstream version (but not the maintainer)
> changes.  We'd probably want a mechanism for flagging any critical
> bugs in existing packages, which require that a new version be
> uploaded right now, regardless of any other considerations.

	This is essentially what liw proposed (see the list
archive for his proposal): Have an intermediate "tested" distribution.
So instead of packages going from unstable to stable. They have a path a
bit longer:

              (dinstall)      (testers)     (release)
	Incoming   =>  unstable   =>   tested   =>  stable.

Essential bug fixes can still show up immediatly into 'unstable' but it
will require some additional time before they show up in 'tested'.

This kind of organisation could shake out *many* bugs, but it will
require a lot of testers too...

	Cordialement,

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -