Re: RFC: A method to use Admin tools, like linuxconf

Bruce Perens said:
> I don't think the design of Linuxconf is acceptable for Debian. We should
> be considering only alternatives that allow the system manager to manage
> the system with a text editor by editing configuration files as they
> exist on conventional Unix systems. We can assist the user by editing those
> files with automatic tools, however we should not replace them.
> We should not be considering a program that usurps the role of init.

Altough it's clear that being able of administering the system by only editing
text files may be a good thing (specially for expert sysadmins or seasoned
UNIX users) I don't understand why we should *force* everybody into doing so.
I think linuxconf may be an excellent alternative for novice (or lazy)
sysadmins, so, IMO, it shouldn't be denied an oportunity with Debian.

Regards,

M. S.