Re: debmake: a compromise?

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Chow Chi-Ming wrote:

> Vincent> Couldn't we make it accept the option '--no-act' that would
> Vincent> only make it print the command it execute, that way, the
> Vincent> maintainer debianising a package can select the 'good'
> Vincent> commands and include them in debian/rules.
> Vincent> 	Seems reasonable?
> Wouldn't it be even better if debstd insert these lines in the rule
> file and the maintainers can customise it?
> Regards,
> --
> Billy C.-M. Chow <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk>
> Department of Systems Engineering
> The Chinese University of Hong Kong

I entirely support Vincent over it. IMO, keep it sample and let the package
standard be open and understandable. I didn't like RedHat for that: I don't
know what's happen when it installs things. Debmake as a lot of features I
like for creating the base of a package but I will prefer it let me know and
decided about how to do thing. It still a personnal choice to use it or not
but don't make it the standards. Let a new comer to debian easily
understanding what happen without having to learn a bunch of new tools,
or worse, a single tool who does too much!

I build my first local package using only dpkg-deb. scripts are easy to
understand, also is control file. The source package are more
complicated, but running deb-make on it really help me to give me a start
point. That's what make deb-make so popular.

Thanks to listen, all IMSHO,

 In practice, they're not.
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur aka le Corbeau
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01
E-mail me with "get pgp key" in the subject to get my public key
PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70

Version: 2.6.2