Re: no final newline in source package: how to deal with this?

> On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > > I'm still in the stage where I don't know why dpkg-source would want
> > > to check for files without final newlines, and barf on it. Yes, I
> > > do know that diff says "\no final newline" (or something similar), but
> > > that's all perfectly normal to me, and I really don't know why dpkg-source
> > > should be so picky on files without final newlines.
> >
> > I agree. Maybe there's some hidden reason, like the reason we can't create
> > subdirectories in packages. Maybe some other version of patch can't handle
> > the "\ No newline at end of file" construct.
>
> It is exactly the error message from diff that chokes patch.

?? diff/patch do understand the "\No newline at end of file" stuff,
it's dpkg-source that generates the errors, not diff/patch. Also,
the "\No newline at end of file" isn't an error message, it's just
a description of the files diff is comparing.

> > But as things stand now, it's impossible to build some packages with
> > because of this problem. I'm filing a bug report.
> >
> I had these same problems when first building new source format packages.
> You need to add a new line at the end of; changelog, control and rules in
> the debian/ directory. This should resolve the problem. I'm not sure what
> good a bug report will do.

Well, at least I think that dpkg-source should just understand
the "\ No newline at end of file" construct. If it can, then all our
problems are gone.

> ------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------
I'd like to see a dpkg-source that knows about
"\ No newline at end of file", please!

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl