Re: Two things that need attention

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Jon Rabone:
> >The second, is the update/install procedure and the searching your path
>
> >packages... I think the install program, should try force an update of
> >this cache after installing a package?
>
> God no, it takes over 5 minutes to rebuild the locate database.

Is he talking about locate? I thought he was talking about the
cache internal to each shell (see hash for bash, rehash for tcsh),
which can't be rebuilt from outside. OTOH, it's not a problem for
bash, unless the location of a command changes. (At least older
tcsh had a stupid algorithm for this, but that may have changed,
I don't know).

Hansen, can we have a clarification of what you meant?