Re: sound executables permissions

maor@ece.utexas.edu said:
> Yes I agree.  If I get added to any group, what's stopping me from
> creating a setgid shell in my home directory?  I can get access to
> the group forever.

I said I knew this was a security problem. But some other devices like the floppy drive (floppy group), or the raw cdrom access (to play audio CDs) could also benefit from it.
The idea behind this is to allow access to some devices from the console and forbid accidental manipulations when not logged on the console (or whatever device/tty combination).

Unfortunately, the Unix security scheme doesn't leave give us a good solution to this problem. Any other ideas here ?

Phil.