Re: new developer questions

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Ioannis Tambouras wrote:

>  Hello, my name is Ioannis and I will try to release my first
>  simple package ascii_1.2-1, see short demo at the end, with the
>  intention to become familiar with the ways and culture of this
>  place. I followed the devel-list for a week and I read that nowdays
>  developing  packages is *trivial*. Not really, it is not! There is
>  tons of docs, policies, and manpages to read ; often, I read the wrong
>  ones.
>

>  Here are my questions, I need some help:
>

>  (1)  Do I have to submit both the binary and source package, all at
>  once, for the same debian release?

Only on the first upload of a new release (or after the upstream source
changes). For successive uploads you only need to upload the diff,
changes, dsc, and deb files.

>  (2) Where can I read about the new package format.

Try /usr/doc/dpkg/policy.htm. and programmer.html for a complete
discussion.

>  (3) The way I understand it, dpkg -b is to build .deb, and
>  deb-make is create source packages. Correct ?

To rebuild the package you should use dpkg-buildpackage. Deb-make is a new
tool developed to aid maintainers in constructing a Debian source package.

>  (4) I have deb-make version 2.40, do I need to upgrade (to what?)

Probably, this product is growing in capabilities at a fairly rapid pace,
thanks to the efforts of Christoph L.

>  (5)  When someone says the "the package was uploaded to master",
>  do they mean master.debian.org ? I could never find anything there,
>  in fact, not even the Incoming directory. Where is it?

The base of the archive is at /home/Debian/ftp
For uploads you should use /home/Debian/ftp/private/project/Incoming

>  (6)  What is my deadline to upload for debian 1.3 ?

Brian's list indicates that bo will be frozen on Feb. 27.

Luck,

Dwarf