Re: dependency checker for archive needed

On 20 Jan 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have some perl modules that look at the Packages file, parse
>  it into package objects, etc, written in perl 5.
>
> 	The idea is to use this to create associative arrays of
>  available packages (/var/lib/dpkg/available), Currently installed
>  packages (/var/lib/dpkg/status), new packages (create a packages file
>  with dpkg-scanpackages or look at a Packages file n the command
>  line).
>
> 	Then, in the checking dependency phase, for each package in
>  the new packages list, we look at the dependencies, and ensure that
>  each dependency is satisfied in either the new ist or the installed
>  list (I'm having problems with the greater than less than directives,
>  at the moment). If the directive is satisfied from the nre list, add
>  a line to an output file withthe format
>  <package-that-needs-to-be-installed-first> <current-package>
>  Iff all dependencies are satisfied, we run tsort on the output file,
>  giving us an order to install new packages in.
>
> 	Unfortunately, my current implementation is very, umm,
>  unstable, and my new job has me travelling a lot (I'm now a
>  ``consultant'', and have been to Hong Kong, San Francisco, and Nice
>  in thre last 30 days), so my time for debian is available in
>  bursts. (I hope to put in a burst now, but I'm scheduled to go to
>  Hong Kong again by the end of the month).
>
> 	I'll try to polish up what I have and have it available to
>  people by the end of the week (I believe Fabien volunteered, right?)
>
> 	I do apologize for signing up to do this and then not
>  producing something in a timely fashion.
>
> 	manoj
> --
>  Cole's Law: Thinly sliced cabbage.
> Manoj Srivastava               <url:mailto:srivasta@acm.org>
> Mobile, Alabama USA            <url:http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>

Why not use dpkg for checking version? I don't think I will use it except if
the list of dependancies to check is minor. Although, continue you're job, I
really think it can improve dpkg and dselect a bit (if not more :).

Pay day is soon and I think I can ride over my HW problem this week, so I can
take over the dependancies check script (and uploading my packages,
reducing the currents old source format quota!) :). And may be my first
version of dpkg-patch.

Most of that, I really think that a permanently frozen repertory will be
helpful for us and for the stability of the releases. Only stable package
will go in it and "test" package will go in unstable. I think the step
between experimental and stable are just too high for only one
distribution.

 true* (1)             - do nothing, successfully
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur        || Running Debian-Linux
Ninf01@gel.usherb.ca                || Lover of MOO, mountains,
http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01 || poetry and Freedom.