Re: Stable and libc

> > Well, we seem to have had a lot of problems with libc in stable.  Maybe it
> > would be a good idea to have the next release of stable come with the libc
> > that's in unstable.  Or does that make too much sense?  <grin>
>
> The only problem to that is that those packages weren't tested against
> the newer libc.  While it's unlikely that the newer libc would cause
> any problems, it goes against being a tested, "stable" system.
>
> What were the reasons for these new packages becoming "fixed"?  Perhaps
> these reasons were not enough to justify the problems they are now
> causing.  This is pure hindsight, of course, and by no way a criticism
> of the people who uploaded them there.
>
>                                           Brian
>                                  ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

The newest libc5 is simply a bug fix release.  We should
upgrade our stable distribution to include it, to avoid
the bugs associated with the older version.  There is no reason
to NOT include it in stable that I can think of.  The changes
(relativly few and minor) are fully described in the
release notes.  All programs which work with libc5 will work with the
newest release.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen        Web:    http://www.et.byu.edu/~andersee/