Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

bcwhite@verisim.com (Brian C. White) writes:

> This document was last modified at Time-stamp:  <97/01/07 16:24:00 bcwhite>

> * Shadow password support (maor@ece.utexas.edu)

IMHO, we should use PAM (pluggable authentication modules) instead.
This gives us shadow support, support for many other systems
(including S/Key, SecureID, and any possible future system), and it
give fine grain control over what methods are used for what programs
(using a configuration file).  The appropriate diff's can be extracted
from Red Hat's versions of the various packages.

> - general "threading" policy (???)  [6]

I believe that libc6 is comes with linuxthreads and by default
compiles to be threadsafe where possible (and provides thread-safe
versions of functions where thread-safe conflicts with ANSI/POSIX).

>  6 - It's a real pain when you want to do thread programming right now,
>      especially since things like X haven't been compiled with the
>      thread safe headers (getc and putc, etc.).  We had to recompile
>      some of X ourselves in order to make things even somewhat
>      stable.
>        -- Rob Browning <osiris@cs.utexas.edu>

X is still an issue - also, when are we going to get glibc?  That
should be made available (for debian developers) ASAP - so we can
start testing stuff against it.

>      Anyway, I just wanted to see if we had any general plans toward making
>      Debian thread safe.  Aside from just picking a library, it would also
>      mean (at least with pthreads, I'm not sure about LinuxThreads),
>      recompiling other code (especially the X libraries) with the thread safe
>      headers (i.e. getc and putc are normally thread hostile macros).

Steve
dunham@gdl.msu.edu