Re: app-defaults vs. Xresources

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Richard Kaszeta wrote:

> Yeah, I understand this problem, but don't see much I can do with it.

The files in the directory "app-defaults" are read-only to remember the
sysadmin that they are not intended for modification. They document all
possible settings and are defaults (if you modify them, they won't be
defaults any longer). There is nothing Linux- or Debian-specific about
this.

If you never modify the files, you won't have any trouble when upgrading
software for X11: the software can just overwrite the old defaults, no
special actions must be taken.

"Overwriting" the default settings through a seperate Xresources-file has
further advantages:

      - your changes are documented (even without comments),
      - the changes are easy to survey,
      - the changes are easily portable to a friends machine.

> >If you have a network of machines, you'll need to change
> >/etc/X11/Xresources on each one.  Programs like rdist can make this
> >relatively easy.
>
> I can't really "upgrade" machines outside my site, can I?

Of course, you can. Just let /etc/X11/Xresources be a link into
/usr/local/etc/Xresources on every NFS-client you serve (and even on the
NFS-server). If you edit /etc/X11/Xresources on the master machine, it
will affect every other machine, too.

-Winfried