Re: FTP problem when using dselect (fwd)

My prompts cannot be very clear (any suggestions welcome):

Kendrick Myatt <myattk@datatek.com> writes:
> >Using dselect and its ftp worked OK for one download. I tried dselect
> >ftp again and was unable to log on. Has anyone had this problem and been
> >able to correct it? I have tried purging and reinstalling "dpkg-ftp" and
> >"libnet". The messages I received follow:
> >

> >--------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >You must supply an ftp site, use of passive mode, username, password,
> >path to the debian directory,list of distributions you are interested
> >in and place to download the binary package files to (relative to
> >/var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp).
> >
> >Eg:      ftp site: ftp.debian.org
> >          passive: y
> >         username: anonymous
> >         password: root@og
> >          ftp dir: /debian
> >    distributions: stable non-free contrib
> >     download dir: debian
> >
> >Enter ftp site [ftp.debian.org]:
> >
> >Use passive mode [y]:
> >
> >Enter username [anonymous]:
> >
> >If you're using anonymous ftp to retrieve files, enter your email
> >address for use as a password.  Otherwise enter "?" and dpkg-ftp will
> >prompt you each time.
> >
> >Enter password [root@og]:
> >
> >Enter debian directory [/debian/Debian-1.2-fixed]:

This should be the directory that contains the entire debian directory
structure (usual /debian on most mirrors).

> >Note: order here is important.  Package files are scanned in order so
> >later distributions will override earlier ones.
> >
> >So put stable before unstable.
> >
> >Enter space seperated list of distributions to get
> >[admin base]:

This should be a list of distributions not sections (ie some of: stable
contrib non-free unstable)

> >Enter directory to download binary package files to
> >(relative to /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/)
> >[debian]:
> >
> >Using FTP to check directories...(stop with ^C)
> >
> >Connecting to ftp.debian.org...
> >Net::FTP: Bad hostname 'ftp.debian.org' at /usr/lib/perl5/Net/FTP.pm
> >line 405
> >FTP ERROR

I am very confused by this!  Can you use 'ftp' to get to ftp.debian.org?
Which version of libnet are you using (I am using 1.01-3).

Andy.