Re: Proposal: A config file for runlevels (DRAFT)

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Richard G. Roberto wrote:

> Only on a Debian system.  My Solaris system has all mulit-user,
> networking CLIENT stuff in runlevel two.  Run level three
> contains server realted stuff (usually just nfs server and maybe
> sybase).  Everything else is EMPTY!

Yes, but the client/server scheme of Solaris still keeps the messy
practice of expressing the setup through (hard-)links.

Solaris provides a certain order for packages in and through runlevels -
thats another point and independent of what I suggested (-> making it
easier to handle the configuration manually, the automated tools remain
the same).

> Run level 2 should be configured as a mulituser/networked/client
> run level and runlevel 3 its server compliment.  Then packages
> just need to be flagged as falling into either one of these two
> groups.

Furthermore:

Runlevel 3 only starts processes, there are no K-links in /etc/rc3.d/. The
other way round, runlevel 2 only kills the processes started in runlevel
3, not the processes of 0,1 ("S" under Solaris) or 6.

Correct me if I'm wrong (hey, it's long ago I did that): the installation
procedure Solaris offers 2 main setups: client or server.
A "client" in this sense is a NFS-client and a "server" is a fileserver
(not limited to NFS). This is something which is not nativly supported by
Debian and so I can't figure out how we could take advantage of it in the
meantime.
[Daemons providing server functionality are still started in runlevel 2
like "inetd", "portmapper" and "sendmail".]

> packages.  This could be a rarely used run level of say "7".  The
> idea would be for people to install experimental packages there
> so they don't get run by default.

We could achieve even finer granularity by introducing a variable
"RUN_<package>_ON_STARTUP" which is evalutated in the script. This way you
don't have to mess around with runlevels (even if this may become very
easy in the future). This is currently discussed in debian-admintool.

-Winfried