Re: Proposal: A config file for runlevels (DRAFT)

On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> A problem: how is the one config file updated when packages are
> installed and uninstalled?

Just as usal: via update-rc.d (i choosed this for compatibility reasons, a
better tool is on it's way).

> Debian experience so far has been
> that it's better to have packages install files into a directory
> than to have them modify a file. The best example of this is
> /usr/info/dir. I think dpkg still has code for fixing it up,
> after various problems many moons ago.

There are other examples (like "/etc/passwd") which show that it can work
to rely on one single file.
Could you give a summary of traps in which the /usr/info/dir file failed?
We could check then if the alternate "rc" is bulletproof against the same
errors.

-Winfried