Re: About using Linuxconf

On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: "Richard G. Roberto" <richr@bear.com>
> > The last thing I want is "the Linux Registry".
> > Not unless its going to be NT compatable ;-)
>
> The NT Registry is not a bad idea, although it's a bad implementation.
> System configurnation should happen in one place, not 200. If you want
> to do it with a text editor that's fine, but you should edit one file.
>
> 	Bruce

Surely you mean one control file!  I don't think its wise to go
back to the madness of maintaining an rc.local file.  Whatever
gets decided, I just hope it doesn't require us to learn yet
another config method.  It should, IMHO, be woven into the
existing (standard?) startup such that it needn't be consulted by
default.  That would let users use it if they like, and not if
they don't.  I still haven't figured out how to modify the *@#$!
man path -- never mind about trying to manage the debian cron
environment.  Can you imagine the madness that would follow a
release that hid all configuration data in some new fangled
centralized system?

By the way, I support the idea, FWIW.  I just think its important
to keep things manageable for those who already do this sort of
thing.  Packages that need to consult the central repository for
config data shouldn't be mainstream *nix things (like X).
Mainstream *nix packages should just have hooks for it.  Perhaps
the "standard" configuration data locations could be kept in tact
and the packages modified to use them first and if there are
subsequent configuration data in the central repository, those
values will supercede.  That will give the utility the ability to
have complete control, without forcing it to.  Mainstream
packages should have no values in the central repository by
default.  If people want to use the utility to administer them,
they can -- but they don't need to.

Also, we need to consider the case when someone uses this utility
(whatever it is) to administer systems, and then decides she
wants to do it by hand instead (or use her own tool, etc).  There
must be a way of not _having_ to rely on the tool/utility even
then.

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com