Goals for 1.3?

Hi folks!

Now that 1.2 is out of the door I think we should specify our goals for
1.3. Brian did a good job on this for the last issue. Does someone
maintain his list now?

IMHO we should come to an agreement _now_ which features we want to have
in 1.3 and which we skip until 1.4 or later. This would make development
much easier and we might get a chance to not slip the next release date so
much as we did this time.

(BTW is the new release called 1.3 or 2.0?)

Here is an extrait from the mail "Upcoming Debian Releases" Brian posted
here on "Sat Dec 21 00:27:50 1996":

Mon, Jan  6, 1997 -- Bugs older than 10 months (will be 12 months by
                     release) will be marked as critical.  People might
                     want to start fixing/closing/forwarding these now
                     to avoid the eventual "nag" messages.

Thu, Jan 30, 1997 -- Bo will be frozen.

Tue, Feb 25, 1997 -- Bo will be released.

Thoughts
~~~~~~~~
- When will Debian "officialy" be multi-architecture?

- What should we do about packages that still have "critical" bugs at
  release time?

Here is what I found we left out out of rex, if I'm right:

* Move all shared libraries into "libs" (maor@ece.utexas.edu)  [4]
* Move interpreters out of "devel" (maor@ece.utexas.edu)  [4]
* Shadow password support (maor@ece.utexas.edu)
- Convert remaining a.out packages (???)
- Boot disks should contain drivers for more systems/cards (???)
- Include the multi-thread support patch for the Objective-C runtime lib
(???)
  Add support for resolutions beyond 1280x1024 to X config utility (???)
[5]

(it would be nice if someone else could check if this list is complete)

Plans for bo:

* No bug reports older than 12 months at release time
(bcwhite@verisim.com)
* Move config information from install scripts to "cfgtool" (???)
- Packages to call "install-menu" during postinst
(joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl)
- Fix "installed size" entries in packages (bcwhite@verisim.com)
- Improvements to 'dselect' (cjf@netaxs.com,dystan@netaxs.com)  [2]
- Package grouping to simplify install (cjf@netaxs.com,dystan@netaxs.com)
- 'dselect' to determine what to install/remove (???) [3]
- new XFree86 3.2. stuff -- involves all packages using X
- general "threading" policy (???)  [6]
- configuring so non-ASCII characters, etc. (???) [9]
- All packages to be in new source format

I would like to add here:

- Make all web servers apply to the new standard, Bruce had released
- Make all startup messages apply to the new standard (see my other mail
here)

Any thoughts about that?

Cheers,

Chris