Re: .bash_profile, the empty /etc/skel, and the first user

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:53:46 +0100 (MET), Santiago Vila Doncel writes:

>> > * I have this in my .inputrc:
>>
>> Does readline read a global inputrc? If not, shouldn't it?
>
>Maybe. But while it does not, what should we do?

AFAIK no. But you can set INPUTRC to a default value, as I do in
/etc/environment which is sourced from /etc/defaults/dot.bashrc which is
sourced from /etc/profile.

Just for reference my /etc/environment (slightly shortened):
export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi
export EXINIT="set showmode autoindent ruler noerrorbells"
export HISTFILESIZE=$HISTSIZE
export HISTSIZE=200
export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
export LANG=en_CH
export LESS=-MQes
export LESSBINFMT='*u<%x>'
export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
export PAGER=/usr/bin/less
export PATH
export PGPPATH=~/.pgp
export PRINTER=stylus
export PS1='(\u@\h) \w\$'
export VERSION_CONTROL numbered
export VISUAL=$EDITOR

>Are we really supposed to make a system with "good" defaults?
Yes. When we are at it, I strongly suggest to make all relevant
applications 8-bit-clean, as already suggested by Lars.

David