Re: Distribution HOWTO about Debian

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Daniel Stringfield wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Shaya Potter wrote:
>
> > No, most americans and canadians probably won't use it then.  Better to
> > have it in both or have a note in the desceription that says it is very
> > international.
>
> Why is it that people think International=non United States?

PGP ring a bell? The world outside the United States (well, mostly Europe)
recognizes the US as a Police State by describing itself as "The Free
World". To this group (and I don't totaly disagree) the US is not
considered to be international. My recent experiences doing business
outside the US lends credence to this point of view.

> International refers to "all over", not foreign!

My large type dictionary says:

International:
	a. pert. to the relations between nations:
	n. a game or match between teams representing their respective
	   countries.
	n. a political theory which aims at breaking down the artificial
	   barriers which separate nations.

These definitions, coupled with the way the US treats the rest of the
world (and for that matter it's own citizens) tends to support the idea
that the US is foreign and the rest of the world is international.

Luck,

Dwarf