Re: .bash_profile, the empty /etc/skel, and the first user

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Rob Browning:
> Well, for now I'll probably stick with just the part after the else
> clause since I already added that.  I'll consider the local-only part.

The local-only part is often not necessary, if the user can undo
everything in his normal configuration file. For example, if the
global file only ever sets some variables (instead of, say, printing
messages to the screen), then there is no need for a local-only
configuration file.

In some cases, however, it would be nice to prevent the global
file from being used.