Re: .bash_profile, the empty /etc/skel, and the first user

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Chris Fearnley:
> What do you think (Lars and others):  are lots of comments in
> /etc/skel files acceptable?

Nope. Picture this:

	Sicily, 1993: /etc/skel/.bash_profile contains commented
	out command to set up color-ls.

	1994: About two million user accounts are set up.

	1995: About two million more user accounts.

	1996: color-ls is folded into GNU fileutils, and the setup
	command changes. /etc/skel is modified. About two million
	more user accounts are set up.

	1997: A clueful user from 1996 notices the color-ls setup,
	comments it out, oohs and aahs, and starts telling everyone
	about it. About one person in three will get it to work,
	everyone else complains to the sysadmin.

	1998: Sysadmin mostly recovers from depression, but still
	will not go anywhere near a computer.

It's much better to keep the documentation somewhere it can be
updated. Add a comment to /etc/skel/.bash_profile about /usr/doc,
perhaps, and work heavily on making dwww _really_ good. Even
better, make sure the installation manual contains a summary of
the where to find documentation on a Debian system and how to
read it.